Questions with Mrs. Eargle

Mrs.+Eargle

Kira Doss

Mrs. Eargle

Kira Doss, Reporter

Mrs. Eargle is our last names of A-F counselor and the BSU coordinator here at Lakes.  

How long have you been a counselor? 

“This is my 4th year being a school counselor.”

How do you stay motivated? 

“I keep words of encouragement all around my office, pictures of loved ones in eye view, connect with healthy colleagues, and always remember “My Why” to education.” 

Why did you become a counselor? 

“When my kids were in middle school, I decided to go back to the work force. I was a stay-at-home mom for so long, I knew I wanted to work with children.  I worked as an Education Assistant for homeless students in Tacoma School District.  During my time working with students and families, I realized my passion and wanted to do more work around removing barriers to students’ education and well-being.”   

Did you always know you wanted to be a counselor? 

“No, I was a cosmetologist for 8 years and then a stay-at-home mom for many years after that.  My passion for school counseling came later in life after raising my children and being a solid support for many other students and families.”

How did you make your final decision? 

“After expressing my heart to friends and family, I was encouraged with questions and statements like, it is never too late to make a difference in others’ lives, you would be a great school counselor, what are you afraid of, you can do this.  All the positive encouragement just sealed the deal of what I had already decided in my heart.”

Does being a counselor affect you personally? 

“Yes, and yes. Being a counselor has caused me to parent differently and see people in a much different light than I ever had before becoming a counselor.  I have learned to listen to what people are saying and not how they say it and truly see them. Also, being a school counselor affects me mentally, emotionally and physically, because there has been a surge in the need for mental health support since the start of the pandemic. So, I must recharge and reset often, but it is worth it.”