The Ledger

Breaking News

The Ledger

The Ledger

Getting to know Mr. Hughes.

Mr.+Hughes+
Kimberly Lopez
Mr. Hughes

Get ready to dive into the fascinating world of Mr. Hughes an extraordinary teacher here at Lakes who is making a difference in the lives of his students. We asked Mr. Hughes about his ways of teaching and the innovative approaches they use to create a dynamic and engaging learning environment.

What inspired you to become a teacher? 

“I started teaching in graduate school, working on my MFA. It was a way to pay tuition.  After a few days in the classroom, I was amazed that I could affect so many people and help them see things differently.  At that point, it went from a job to something more.”

What subjects do you teach?

“Art and crafts, drawing and painting and some digital artwork and important life lessons.”

How do you create a positive learning environment in your classroom?

“Laughing with my kids all the time, we have fun we have some freedom, and we do not worry about things being pretty, just trying to learn new things, we take the pressure off and just have fun.”

What teaching methods or strategies do you find most effective?

“Good relationship with the students allowing for a lot of choice and being flexible, letting students to do what’s interesting to them instead of me.”

Can you share any memorable moments or experiences from your teaching career? 

“I had a student who went off to being a nurse she emailed me 5 years after being in my class and she said Mr. Hughes I was in vacation and I was bored and we went to this museum in New York and when we went in I saw all the things you taught us and I told my husband about it and he said how I really knew about this things and she told me how she wanted to thank me for teaching her about those things”

How do you handle challenges or inconvenient situations in the classroom?

“I’m a dad I have my owns kids and I have a lot of help and support I know better not to take it too personally; students are young people.”

What has been your favorite project so far?

“Cardboard heads we did last year.”

Do you have any pets? If so, how many and what are their names? 

2 dogs, 1 cat and 1 rabbit, Gus, and bijou (dogs) Tage Thompson(cat), Clover (bunny)

What do you enjoy most about teaching and working with students? 

“You kids are just so funny. So creative and weird, just like me, just like most of us grown-ups. I get to hear your stories. And again, I get to teach you cool things.”

How do you stay motivated and continue to grow as an educator? 

“Every year – actually every semester – I get to restart and change. There is always something new to do with people who do not know it yet. There is always something new to learn for me too. It is never the same.”

What would you like your students to take from their learning experience with you?

“I want them to be fearless. Confidence is so important. Call it bravery if you want. Embrace your own way of doing things. Do not be afraid to be yourself, or to be around others, being themselves.”

Do you have a favorite book that you would recommend?  

Catcher in the Rye.

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (cheating, that is a movie, I know.)

Is there anything we have not talked about that you would like to share with us? 

“I secretly like working with High School Students. I only look grumpy because my face naturally does that. Also, most of the time I am being sarcastic. Or maybe not.”

Do you have a favorite quote? and if so, what is it and why is it your favorite? 

“Do cool stuff.” Basically: live a good life on your own terms. Leave a good story behind you, as you go.”

Do you have any advice for whoever is reading the ledger?

“See above. Do cool stuff. Be kind, make people smile and make them think. Show them what you can do.”

We asked students who have his class or had his class before what they think of him, some students were okay with having their name with their answers, but others decided to keep anonymous.

“He’s pretty cool, I think his pretty when he punishes people it’s not really punishing people he will make a joke about it, sometimes he will go off the charts in an assignment but in a good way.” Carter J. Burgess

“His really nice and very understanding and uplifting.” Isabelle Perez

“He’s pretty cool and layback, I’ve had him for a few years and his not super strict about deadlines along as you get it in.” (Anon)

“He’s an amazing teacher.” (Anon)

“This is my second year that I have him and even though there was times the class got a bit loud I’ve always have fun in this class, he’s a pretty funny teacher and very chill” (Anon)

“I’ve always been quiet in his class and I really enjoy this class because even if the artwork it’s not pretty or neat he always says that i did a great job” (Annon)

“Mr. Hughes class is so easy like there’s no way to fail this class, also I’ll say he’s pretty cool and nice I remember when I saw him standing by the door with the skull Anon)

“I like this class, as long as you turn things you can just chill, and he won’t have a problem his pretty chill.” (D)