The Ledger

Breaking News

The Ledger

The Ledger

WIAA Hall of Fame Welcomes Joseph Gray

The News Tribune
    Joseph Gray Mountain running

Joseph Gray was just recognized and inducted into the WIAA Hall of Fame as of May 8th, 2024. Joseph Gray was a student here at lakes from 1999-2022 and was one of our incredible athletes on the cross country and track teams. Our very own Mr. Clark was the coach of Owen Gray here at lakes.

Gray has incredible talent and earns 22nd place in cross country in only his sophomore year. By his junior year he was 2nd, and in his senior year he finished out his high school career as one of the top ten in state.

After high school gray began competing at the collegiate level for the university of Portland and later transferred over to Oklahoma state where he helped win the top-10 NCAA Nationals championship for cross country in both 2005 and 2006. In 2007 Gray had become an NCAA All academic Track and Field athlete. After graduating Gray took a turn in his career and began competing in mountain running. He was the first Black American to win the USA National Mountain Running championships and he was named Mountain Runner of the year in the US 11 times in a row.

He gained international recognition and was voted the “Greatest Mountain Runner of All Time”. Not only was Gray a Mountain runner but he was also a steeple chase runner as well as a 33-time USA national team member.

At his induction 8 of Gray’s former teammates and 3 of his coaches attended the induction to support him.  TJ Gholson Coach Joe Clark Coach Willie Stewart Jr James Costigan Joseph Gray Coach Mark Brinkhouse Reuben Joseph Dan Weldon Kevin Reed Shaun Wilson

His amazing contribution within the running world has earned him a spot in the WIAA Hall of Fame.

Hall of Fame

https://www.wiaa.com/HOF/