The Ledger

Breaking News

The Ledger

The Ledger

Cross Country Season Overview

X-country Season Overview: Lucas Pingel 

The boys’ team was dominant all the way up until the post season. They finished first in their league, with Caleb Griffin being the fastest in the Varsity race with a time of 16:17. Freshman Ethan West ran in the JV race but managed to get a fast enough time to earn a Varsity spot, along with Caleb Griffin (12), Wyatt Blanchard (12), Jax Corvin (11), Jasper Johnson (11), Damien Sledd (11), and fellow Freshman Maxwell Pingel. The Girls Team placed 3rd, with Sophomore Opal Johnson placing 4th with a time of 19:11. She was joined by Giovanna Robles (12), Alannah Martinez (10), Mila Lay (11), Elia Grant (12), Makella Sweeney (11), and Tiyahna Calvert (12). 

Lakes Boys placed 6th at the District Meet, and Caleb Griffin placed 5th individually with a time of 16:23. Because they placed in the top 7 teams, the whole team was able to go to the State meet. The Girls were just as lucky, as they squeezed into 7th place by just 4 points. There were tears of joy all around as they heard that the whole Varsity team would be going to State. Both teams were joined by alternates Gideon Evarts (12), Michael Gomez-Knight (11), Reagan Lord (9), and Layla Anderson (11). 

At state, it was clear that we lost some power from last year when we placed 5th. The boys’ team placed 17th overall, with senior Wyatt Blanchard being the fastest on the team with a time of 17:13. He says, “It felt good. It was hard, but you only grow through hardship.” As for the girls’ team, they placed 18th overall, the fastest being Opal Johnson with a time of 19:15. Fellow runner Alannah Martinez says, “All the hills, and pushing through it, it feels accomplishing.” Due to an injury, senior Tiyahna Calvert was unable to run, and freshman Reagan Lord ran in her place. Caleb Griffin, on the other hand, sustained an injury during the race, when he twisted his ankle. Even though he didn’t get a top placing, freshman Maxwell Pingel was enthusiastic at the end, as he pumped his fist up in the air as he crossed the finish line. All the runners were tired and wet, but I feel that they are ready for next year. 

View Comments (2)