The Ledger

Breaking News

The Ledger

The Ledger

The role of social media in society

Social media platforms

Social media as a whole has grown at a steady and fast rate within the past 20+ years. what started as a small community has built to nearly have the world population that uses media. As the growth of social media progressed so did the affects it had on people and the public as a whole.

The first social media was named six degrees, and it had a small group of nearly 1 million users. This was used for social networking and basic communications across the platform. This wasn’t really an app where you would post or comment. Six degrees lasted around 4 years prior to the shut down in 2001.

Since then, apps such as Facebook, Instagram, snapchat, and many other platforms were released. It became a common thread of posting pictures and quotes or whatever was on the user’s mind. Lots of media is used to publicly or privately spread information or media to small or large groups of following.

“Found 51% of teens averaged 4.8 hours a day”

— Gallup

Social media can be easily seen as a more negative community considering its easy access. Not only does media and public posts affect people’s perspectives but it also influences how people see others and themselves. Apps that are downloaded online make it much quicker for people to access and enter different types of information. Due to this quick approach, it is also much easier to manipulate and turn something positive into something negative. Users can screenshot and spread unkind opinions privately that will ultimately get out in one way or another. Due to the advance, even with reporting or blocking people of disrespectful interest it can still cause hurt to those who view or read messages. Interpretation of news and articles written by self-published sources can often be twisted as to what they mean and then can be used against the person with backlash.

Although media can be viewed as a less then positive source of entertainment considering the previous notions, it can also be used to spread awareness and positivity. Having quick access to the internet allows users to spread kindness to others through comments and posts. Apps such as Instagram for example can be used to hashtag and tag causes in need of announcement or help. It has also become an easy way to post links to fundraising and other important events that take place. Social media keeps people aware of what is going on from millions of different perspectives. It gives people a chance to find others with similar interest and makes healthy connections to talk about these likes and similarities. You may be reading something about Somone’s weekend or being informed about fun events around your city and having the multitude of platforms and sharing has made it easier to find real reviews or experiences. Apps where you can post have helped people build confidence and improved their mood. Media makes it easier to stay in touch for all kinds of people, for the military people are constantly moving around and having a website where you can see what they are up to and talk to them then it is a more justifiable source of positive use.

Bottomline, even if social media has negative aspects, it can allow people to grow from good influence and kindness. In all, having a wide community has also helped people feel they belong by making it much simpler to find information or people with similar interests or likes. The advance in technology and media reminds people to spread positive messages regardless of negative ones.