The Ledger

Breaking News

The Ledger

The Ledger

Road safety

Reckless driving around the area

As school has started drivers no longer have the road to themselves early in the morning, I walk to school a 7-minute walk to school should not feel unsafe I see cars speeding up out of nowhere, some drivers not even looking at the road but instead they are distracted.

A few days ago, as I walked to school with my cousin, we were crossing the crosswalk we checked before crossing she was in front of me by a few feet, from the corner of my eye I see a car speeding up out of nowhere it left us with no time to react one moment the car was far away and the next moment the car was next to us my cousin would’ve been hit if the driver wouldn’t had made a sudden stop , the women rolled down her window apologized and sped away again when I asked my cousin if she was okay. She was still in shock and said she hated how people drove here , she’s walked to school her 3 years of middle school and never had something like that happened to her. I also experienced something similar I was crossing the street. A car was very far away which then I decided to cross then the car started to speed up just as I put my foot on the sidewalk the car passes behind me and honks at me like it was my fault? What happened to “drivers must stop for pedestrians at intersections.”

For students who walk to school or wait for the bus remember to be careful and look around your surroundings.

A few minutes away from Lakes at Mount Tahoma two students were injured when another student was reckless driving in school parking lot. https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/crime/article279119664.html