Julie Calhoun: Eastern to Western Coast News, Informing the Masses

Brookelle Barnes, Editor/Reporter

Julie Calhoun is an anchor and reporter for KING 5 news in Seattle, Washington. Born in Savannah, Georgia, Calhoun has had a passion for long-form and investigative storytelling as well as TV news her whole life.  

After graduating from the University of Georgia in 2013 with a degree in Broadcast Journalism, Calhoun first joined her media career while at UoG through their Grady Newsource. After this, she was exposed to the beginning of her career in December of 2013 through WRDW (television station in Augusta, Georgia). This station provided her to cover national news stories such as the removal of the Confederate flag in the South Carolina Statehouse as well as the Charleston Church Shooting in 2015. 

In addition to her experience at WRDW, Calhoun also worked as a reporter for KOKH Fox 25 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma where she covered multiple tornado destructions and high-profile court cases. After being on KOKH Fox 25, Calhoun was being seen on WBTW (television station licensed to Florence, South Carolina) as of April of 2018 as a midday anchor in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. On WBTW, she got to edit, investigate, and draft stories while also hosting special series about those of marijuana legislation and human trafficking.  

Julie, now 32, is an anchor and reporter for KING 5 who enterprises, researches, writes, edits, and investigates local stories for western Washington. Julie has been a part of the KING 5 team since July of 2022.  

Julie, as well as the rest of the KING 5 staff is who keeps us informed as a community. People like Julie often go unrecognized for their life devoted work to reporting, writing, researching, and importing us on the most recent new stories along with weather, sports, breaking news, traffic, etc. Julie represents a single woman in a greater worldwide community that keeps us incorporated and informed in our society daily. I believe that Julie does her job beautifully and with ease. Being in any public eye is commonly seen as controversial and not easily done but the KING 5 staff makes it look easy. Calhoun has wanted this job since she was a child and knew her career path throughout high school and college, all while also being an active member of society. I am excited to see where Julie’s career takes her in the future and am proud to have her cover our local Washington news!