Major Texas Universities Ban TikTok 

TikTok+Logo

TikTok

Gioavnna Robles, Reporter

Many Texas colleges have decided to ban and restrict access to the social media app TikTok on their internet networks. As of right now the University of Texas in Austin, the University of Texas in Dallas have all already banned TikTok and removed China owned apps from their government issued devices. Texas A&M told ABC news that they have done what other Texas colleges have done and “took similar steps” and banned TikTok as well.  Adviser Jeff Nyland, president of technology states “The university is taking these important steps to eliminate risks to information contained in the university’s network and to our critical infrastructure.” Dallas had already removed and banned TikTok from devices a month ago.  

Why are colleges banning social media platform TikTok? Large Texas schools decided to ban TikTok because they are concerned about data privacy. Schools are also worried about their student’s mental health and depression rates and think it will help reduce stress, depression and social isolation. Now not only did they ban Texas schools Senator Josh Hawley wants to ban TikTok nationwide. The congress has also recently banned TikTok from most government issued devices due to concerns about security issues. It has come out that many other states including Georgia, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Virgina and Texas have also banned TikTok from government devices.