Lakes Cross Country Takes Flight.

Lakes Cross Country team after the Senior Night meet.

Michael Cosio, Reporter

The Lakes Cross Country team has been dominant throughout the entirety of their season. Even with their big invitational meet being canceled, the team re-adjusted, and prospered regardless. The boys team was the top dog in the league and crushed it at the district competition, taking third place overall. Lake’s runner Cruize Corvin bolted his way to first place, while his teammate Zander Trevino followed closely behind taking fourth. But it’s not just the boys who bring home victory; Savanna Hardman was the only female runner who qualified for state at Lakes, meaning she would run as a lone wolf.
The team surfed their success all the way to tri cities where they claimed 11th place in state competitions. Both Cruize and Zander were top ten runners, and Savanna was also on the podium, finishing 19th, in a time of 19:19.

Accomplishments such as these are nothing new to Lakes Cross Country. Coach Clark and the organization have been the big team for DECADES. They have produced countless collegiate runners, including Olympic trials  runner Izaic Yorks. I asked Coach Clark about what makes the team successful, this was his response…
“This team expects to be good based on the fact that we’ve been successful for a long time. They recognize that it’s a sport you can’t get good at without doing the work. Our history of having good sized teams that don’t quit has helped out quite a bit.”
Coach Clark tells me about what the teams’ goals are and what they hope to achieve,
“They expect to go to state, they expect to be one of the best teams in the league but they know they have to be training in the off season and that’s really driven by the student leaders.”
The qualities of the Lakes Cross country team are the standards for greatness. Make sure to check out the program in the fall and reach out to coaches if you’re interested in joining.