Returning to School and How it Affects Our Mental Health

Stephany Hernandez, Reporter

We all know school can be stressful academically, socially but especially mentally. Whether it is your senior year preparing for graduation, or a new coming first-year student trying your best to transition into High School, we all must care for our mental health. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, schools and other establishments were forced into closure for quarantine. Now after two years, schools are beginning to return to normalcy. But students and staff face anxiety about what the new school year has to offer. As a result of the school environment, many students have recurring stress, depression, anxiety, the list goes on.  

What can be factors to the decline of your mental health? It could be something you love like the sport you play or the club you are in. It could be a change in the weather. We all know that Washington weather can be gloomy and affect our mood. Let us not forget to mention bullies and school drama. There is no denying that we all have a lot on our plates, experiencing many hardships during these times of uncertainty and it is easy for us to take it out on those around us. Remember you are not alone and being kind means a lot more to others than you think. Most importantly be kind to yourself, be mindful of all your accomplishments and how far you have come. Treat yourself to a cup of coffee or setting aside that paper for some extra sleep.