Students Thoughts on Hybrid Learning.

Courtney Volavka, Reporter

Students Thoughts on Hybrid Learning 

On March 8th, 2021, students returned to school for the first time in over a year. Since the school is starting hybrid learning, we wanted to see what student’s thoughts on hybrid learning. We conducted a poll and 60 students answered it. We asked the students 5 questions: what their thoughts on hybrid learning are, are they do in-person or virtual learning, why did they choose their decision, their rate of excitement for hybrid learning, and if they had any questions about hybrid learning. 

What are your thoughts on hybrid learning? 

Students responded with this question in several ways. Some students are excited about hybrid learning. One student said that they feel as if it is a good idea to get students back on some sort of a schedule. Some students are ecstatic about hybrid learning, have concerns. A 12th grader commented “I like the idea of hybrid learning; however, I believe that we should have longer periods so that virtual students would get more learning time. The shortened periods don’t allow the teachers to finish the whole lesson.” 

However, most students are concerned when it comes to hybrid learning. Most are concerned with the amount of time that students must learn, and the amount of time teachers must teach. Most are also concerned with health and safety. One student said “I feel like it shouldn’t have started this fast. Many teachers are still waiting for the second dose of the vaccine and they have to do all of that while trying to manage two different classes.” 

Do you plan on attending in-person or virtual learning? 

62% of students are returning to in-person learning and 38% of students are staying virtual.

Why did students choose their decision? 

When it comes to hybrid learning, some students decided to study face-to-face for many reasons. Most students chose in-person learning for reasons such as they benefit from learning in-person rather than online, they cannot focus online, and because of their mental health. Other students choose virtual learning because they do not want to get the Coronavirus, the students believe that the schools have opened school’s too early, or they thrive better in online learning rather than in-person learning.  

What is your rate of excitement of a scale of 1 to 5? 

On a scale of 1 to 5, the average rate was 3.02. 

Do you have questions or concerns about hybrid learning? 

Some students do have questions, for example, what happens if someone has coronavirus? However, some students do have some concerns, such as whether they will encounter the same difficulties in hybrid learning as online learning, and whether virtual students will have enough learning time like in-person students.